Friday, August 15, 2014

'tis the Season

In the back corner of our bedroom, there's a candle sitting beside some family pictures and a lamp. When I open or close the blinds that surround the small sitting area there, I can smell that candle even when it's not lit. I don't think I've burned it since last fall; it probably has a name like Pumpkin Spice or Autumn Medley. But I've noticed that when I'm near it, the smallest whiff takes me back to memories of cooler weather, football season, grilling out, beautiful leaves, and an overall feeling of welcome familiarity. 
 
In learning to enjoy each day and each season, God is teaching me a great thing. As He often does, the lesson actually began with a question: what are you waiting for to be happy? The word could be happy, or satisfied, or content, or enough, or to enjoy life, etc. We each fill in our own blank, and we ask our own question along life's way. 
 
I began this joy-journey (learning to have joy despite up or down circumstances) and I've had to become keenly--often, painfully--aware of what steals my joy. There are a lot of predictable, general things that are potential joy-stealers. Therefore, I must stay equipped to fight those attacks. 
 
I've found that when I'm prepared for these enemy attacks because of the season or struggles I'm in--and he CAN'T get me rattled as he once did--I'll have strange, weird things happen. I've actually laughed out loud before, knowing the devil was throwing what he could at me. The difference is, I'm a new creation in Christ now. I know who I am in Christ (so my own weaknesses don't really matter that much any more.) I know that if I say I trust God and I have faith in Him, it must be put into practice--so why constantly worry, fear, dread, feel insecure, or keep a record of wrongs?
 
The first part of 2 Corinthians 2:15 says, "Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God." (NLT) May the fragrance of each of our lives be such that when life adds heat, or things seem great at the moment, or there's a lot of turmoil around, we are the same. This can only be so when Jesus is our center. We are ever-changing. He is the same, yesterday, today, and forever. We need His stability. He desires our intimate, all-in relationship, and our fulfilling the purpose He created us for--long before we were at this place and time. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment