Friday, September 20, 2013

Remembering Bailey...Walking With Harley

These 2 sweet Boxers hold a special place in my heart. Bailey passed away on Good Friday this year. She was 13 1/2, and had a wonderful life. I have so many great memories and pictures of these gifts from God; He used them to teach me so much about love, about life, and about the importance of just getting outside, going for a walk, and seeing things from a different perspective.
 
There was a blood moon on Good Friday eve this year. This was a rare thing, and we drove to the water to see if we could capture some pictures that might do it justice. As we drove over Pickwick Dam and saw this spectacular sight, I later realized Bailey was fighting for her life. When we got home, I saw a shell of this beautiful animal who was hanging on, struggling to breathe, shallow eyes not seeing anymore like they once did. I lay in the garage floor holding her, sobbing, praying, telling her it was ok to go now, asking God to ease any suffering.  After a big seizure, she calmed down and slept through the night. The next morning, Kelly did what I could not do. He was with her while she breathed her last breath. I sat and waited at home. It seemed like hours later, he walked through the front door and I could only hold him, cry some more, and say I wasn't sure where she should be buried. I almost wanted to explain my tears, and mumbled out that I had just never been committed to anyone or anything in my life this long, other than this sweet friend of mine, who had protected and loved me unconditionally--and I had determined some time back to be dedicated to her even through the hard times.
 
My husband's love was as evident as ever that day: he said he had already found the perfect place, and we could go see when I was ready. So we loaded up, my precious family with Harley beside Baby Girl in the back seat. Kelly drove us to some family land, with rolling hills whispering God's goodness and weeping willows sharing in my tears. Water could be seen through the bare trees, and the gravesite, freshly dug with a tractor, had a large stone rolled on top that we used as a seat. There were more pictures made that day, more memories, and bittersweet tears that came and went for several days. It was an unforgettable Easter Sunday. If I had been able to love one of God's creatures so much, I was overwhelmed, amazed, and comforted at God's great love for us, the ones He calls His masterpieces. (Ephesians 2:10)
 
So now I walk with Harley, savoring each moment I see God's beauty in nature, thanking Him for His goodness, taking in His creation and celebrating along with it at the grandeur of our Creator. Life is what we make of it. I choose to trade my ashes for beauty, my mourning for His joy, a spirit of despair for a garment of praise. We can live the good life, because God has already made the Way for us through Jesus Christ.


 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Kim this was beautiful. Kyle was driving us to church and I was scanning Facebook and saw your blog. I cried on this one. I can relate to this. It is truly amazing when we put in perspective just how much God loves us. I love my fur babies dearly and to think that God's love for us exceeds that is incredible. He loved us before we knew Him. Before we were His. I'm so thankful for His grace and love. Keep up the blogs. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Amber. He is so truly amazing! Love you and Kyle :)

      Delete